Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Lil' Murph's Diary: Lil' Murph Gets Some Playing Time


Dear Diary,

Sorry it has been so long since I last wrote to you but I’ve been busy, playing a lot.  Much to catch you up on so let’s have at it.


I guess the big news off the field is that some guy named Einhorn is going to give the Mr. Wilpons like $200 million bucks for about a one third share of the team.  Now I don’t know a lot about big money stuff (I get all my Mets news from reading that blog THE APPLE and listening to Francesa on WFAN) but it sure seems like a lot of bucks to pay for like no say-so in the team.  But now it sounds like he’ll have a chance to own 60% of the team in a few years and then he can call his own shots.  Can’t imagine that he’d do any worse than the current crew – but don’t tell Mr. Wilpon I said so.

I’ve been playing a lot of 1B these days since Ikie got hurt.  Mr. Collins may start platooning me with Nicky (Evans). Wonder if I’d hit better if I did that squinty eye thing that Nicky does.  I like playing 1B even more than playing second (fewer people sliding into my legs, you know).  I think I’m a pretty good fielder at first except when I blew the game the other night against the Phillies.  I tried to “Fancy Dan”  (good pun, heh?) a grounder and turn it for a nifty DP.  Instead I oh-layed it into RF and all heck broke loose.  I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS.

I’ve been hitting better lately.  Had three hits on Sunday and a liner that was caught.  We all had our hittin’ shoes on that day.

Right now we got me at first, Ruben’s pickin’ it great at 2B,  Jose is hot as a pistol at SS – sure hope we don’t trade him, but think they will, and Justin (Turner) is going great guns for David at third.  Once everyone’s back it’ll be a scramble for playing time.  To be honest, Justin is outhitting and outfielding me these days.  When Ike and David return they might drop me down to pinch-hitting duties.  That I can do.  I could outhit Willie Harris even if they sent me up to the plate blindfolded.

That’s about all I can think of tell you for now Dear Diary.  I promise to try and keep in touch.

Follow Larry Smith on twitter @dr4sight

1 comment:

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular