Thursday, August 9, 2012

Meat The Mets: Pat LaFrieda Steak Sandwich Makes Bid For Second Half MVP

If you are a regular reader of The Apple, you know that I don't step out of character much, but last night I was given a chance to sample the new Pat LaFrieda Filet Mignon Sandwich being offered at Citi Field.  Before I try and describe it I'll let Mark Pastore, President of Pat LaFrieda Meat Purveyors, tell you all about it...




There isn't much I can say about the sandwich that my sandwich blogging idol Ted Berg hasn't already said, but I can say that the sandwich instantly leaps into my top 5 must have food items at Citi Field. What makes this steak sandwich shine above some of the park's other gourmet options is that it was specifically designed to be prepared, served and eaten at the ballpark.  This attention to detail comes shining through when you actually get your hands on one. It doesn't fall apart. The bun soaks up the au jus without becoming a soggy mess. Most importantly, you don't get that one bite where all the meat slides out and you end up being left with a fancy grilled cheese sandwich.

Of course all this means nothing if the sandwich doesn't taste good. Personally, I loved the flavor. The meat, the real star of this show, is juicy, tender and delicious. There is a peppery heat that possibly comes from the au jus that could be a turn off to some, but I found it a great balance to the super sweet onions. The cheese didn't seem to bring much flavor to the party but it did add some texture. The bun is strong but not rubbery. A rubbery bun is always a deal breaker for me. Together they combine to form one of the best things I have ever eaten at a ballpark. 

The sandwich is not cheap with a price tag of $15. (Full disclosure: my sandwich was complimentary) I had a half portion which was still pretty filling.  Given the quality of the sandwich, especially when weighed against a $6 Nathan's hot dog, I have no problem plunking down 15 bucks for this one and expect to do so several times over the second half of the season.

I'll be honest, I did not know who Pat LaFrieda was two days ago...but I do now.      
No Mets were harmed in the writing of this story. Follow me on Twitter @readtheapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular