Monday, July 15, 2013

Lil' Murph's Diary: Lil' Murph Feels The Pressure

Dear Diary,

I know it's been a long while since I wrote anything here in you. Sorry, my bad.  I was waiting to be in a good stretch with both the team and myself doing well.  But since I can hardly remember back to when that was the case I figured I'd break down and update you right now seeing as how it's time for the All Star break.   The break is a time when us guys who are not All Stars  (ha, ha, - remember back when I was really hitting and some people thought I could be an All Star?) get to not play for a few days.   It's a time for our minor bumps and bruises to heal and get ready for the 2nd half's bumps and bruises.

I have to tell you diary that I can't shake this feeling in my bones that my days as a New York Metropolitan may be numbered.  The other day I was in our clubhouse and noticed that one of the empty lockers near mine now has a sign on it saying, "Future locker of Wilmer Flores."   Now I may not always be the sharpest knife in the drawer but I can put 2 and 2 together sometimes.  This Wilmer (not to be confused with the one from the Flintstones) is a young kid (like 21, ugh) who is hitting real good at Las Vegas and after trying to play every other position there is has settled in at second base -  MY SPOT!

So if this kid is about ready to play and he does 2B, what can I do?   Sure I could play some third base if it wasn't for someone named Captain David Wright.   And I can play first base except that between Ike, Duda, and Satin I don't think the team wants me over there.  I think they want a power hitter over there and I'm kinda not that.

It's pretty ironic that I can for the first time say that I'm really a second baseman.  I feel comfortable making the plays and the pivot and know where to be on cutoff plays and bunts.  Tim Teufel has really worked me hard to adapt to the position. Only problem is that as I've become an adequate second baseman I've become less adequate as a batter.

I suppose I should tell you about my hitting which is something I'm not doing a lot of these days.  I'm not trying to make excuses but boy it seems like the other teams use a lot of left handed pitchers against us Mets.  And while I'm not awful against lefties, like Ike and Capt. Kirk, I just don't hit them particularly well.  They've got me so fouled up that even my batting against righties has hit the fan, so to speak.   Earlier in the year I was getting plenty of hits and while not hitting a lot of homers I sure was doing good in the doubles department.  Now even that is meh.

As far as our team goes we are muddling along.  We play reasonably good on the road but then we come home and stink up the joint.   I don't know why that is but it is.

The other day the team sent Jordanny down to AAA.  That kid is a bit of a pooh-pooh head (pardon my bathroom language) and no one on the big club is all that disappointed to see him go.  Maybe that'll improve what they call clubhouse chemistry.  Maybe that chemistry would be better if we won more often.  I don't know I'm just a player.

So that's the story.  I am going to try and get my batting average up around .300 where I feel it belongs.  If I get traded then so be it.  I'll always have you diary.


Your pal,



All articles featured on The Apple are fictitious. No Mets were harmed in the writing of this story. Follow Larry on Twitter @dr4sight.

Buy New York Mets Tickets

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular