Thursday, October 14, 2010

Source: Mets Tried To Unload Oliver Perez On "Pawn Stars"

Yesterday we reported on the Mets sending Oliver Perez down in to the Chilean mine.  Apparently this was not their first attempt to unload the lefty.  Media Goon, a contributor to Mets Police and Sports Police, was in Las Vegas to watch a filming of the TV show Pawn Stars when he happened upon Mets owner Jeff Wilpon talking to Pawn Stars star Richard "Rick" Harrison and company.  According to Goon, the exchange went like this:

Rick:
So, what have you got for me?

Jeff Wilpon: I have a one of a kind piece of authentic New York Mets history.

Rick: Really? Sports Memorabilia is a hot market right now. What is it?

Jeff Wilpon: Number 46 of the New York Mets, wearing his white jersey, Ollie Perez.

Rick: Ooof? Really? Hmmm. What are you looking to do here? Pawn him? Sell him?

Jeff Wilpon: Sell him.

Rick: What are you looking to get for him?

Jeff Wilpon: About $20 million.

Chum Lee: I wouldn't take him if you gave ME $20 million.  He looks broken.

Rick: Yeah. I'm sorry but ummm, yeah. He is a really niche kind of item. The only real buyers out there would be a team like the Yankees.  Even that would be a stretch.


Jeff Wilpon: Are you sure there's nothing you can do? 

Rick: I wouldn't even give you  $20 dollars for him.  It would cost me too much money to try to restore him and then there is no real chance I could move him. Thanks for bringing him by today.

Jeff Wilpon: How about just the jersey?  Can I get $50 for it.

Rick: The thing with jerseys is that they are really common.  Maybe if it was the black one.  That one seems to sell the best.  I could move one of those.

Chum: Yeah those black one's are sweet.

Jeff Wilpon: How about I just leave him here for a few days and see if you change your mind?

Rick: (Pointing to Chum) I've already got one head case here to look after.  I don't need a second.

(Rick started laughing)

Jeff Wilpon: C'mon Ollie, we have a meeting with the guys from American Pickers in an hour.

Wilpon gathered up his pitcher and left.


All articles featured on The Apple are fictitious. No Mets were harmed in the writing of this story. Today's story by Randy Medina & Keith Blacknick.  You can follow Keith on twitter @mediagoon

1 comment:

  1. This is funny.. I can hear the voices of Chum Lee and Rick. That was cool. If you are a fan of the show, you really can get it. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular