Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wright Falls Ill After Seeing How Far Away From The Plate He's Been Standing

On Wednesday night David Wright had to leave the game due to bouts of nausea.

Often times, the cause of nausea relates to something one's eaten. When the Mets' crack medical staff queried the third baseman about what he'd eaten earlier in the day they found that there was nothing new or out of the ordinary in his recent diet. The staff fought back the temptation to call it a concussion even though that's their default position on bloodless injuries.

Further probing revealed that Wright had spent several hours before the game with Howard Johnson on Hojo’s new Ipad.  He said that they watched several complete Mets games and all of  Wright's last 30 at bats.

Hojo explains that Wright, who usually avoids video, became agitated and accusatory.  “He kept telling me that I was using trick photography and that the video wasn’t real.”, says Johnson.  “When I showed him several different games he accused me of playing the same game over and over.”

According to Hojo, Wright said, "If this is true, why didn't anyone ever mention that I have been standing about 50 feet away from home plate? I couldn't hit an outside pitch standing there if I had a fishing pole."

Wright dismissed the video but later admitted that watching his recent play in the field and at the plate in all likelihood was what made him sick.

"Hojo brought that stupid thing to the dugout and was playing video while I was at the plate.  That was it for me", said Wright. "I started to think about how stupid I must have looked and that there are millions of people who pay money to watch it.  People pay hard-earned money for these tickets and I’m practically standing in the on-deck circle.  I was mad at Hojo, I was embarrassed and finally I just got sick."

Mets management feels Wright may be putting too much pressure on himself.  He has been ordered to spend a week with Ollie Perez to learn how not to care about expectations.

All articles featured on The Apple are fictitious. No Mets were harmed in the writing of this story.  Today's story written by Larry Smith and Randy Medina

If you enjoy Larry's work with the Apple you can follow him on Twitter @dr4sight

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular