Friday, August 27, 2010

Mets Players Boycott Bats As An Act Of Solidarity With Fans

Boycotts have been the talk of Metsville this week.  On Wednesday, one group led by Taryn Cooper of the blog My Summer Family held the Mets Fan Citi Field Sit Out with hopes of sending a message to the ownership.  Here at The Apple, we're not sure if the front office is listening but the players have clearly heard the message.

On Thursday night, several Mets players joined the cause and boycotted their bats.  As a sign of solidarity with the beleaguered fan base, these players (led by Ruben Tejada) will no longer bring a bat with them to the the plate.  These players will now attempt to get on base solely through the power of good intentions.  Ironically, many sabremetricians expect that this will actually lead to an improvement for a player like Tejada by virtue of the fact that he will no longer be able to ground out weakly.

But not every player on the Mets has been so quick to jump on the bandwagon.  Third baseman David Wright explained his reluctance to join the cause after the Mets 11-4 loss to the Marlins.  "I am in one of my hot streaks right now.", said Wright.  "I need these hot streaks so that at the end of the year my stats look somewhat impressive and I can continue to pose as one of the best hitters in the league.  I will boycott my bat next week when I'm scheduled to go hitless anyway."

All articles featured on The Apple are fictitious. No Mets were harmed in the writing of this story.

2 comments:

  1. oooof....cardinal sin. You don't go baggin' DW5. You just don't. I'm very disappointed, Apple.

    ReplyDelete

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular