Monday, June 4, 2012

Lil' Murph's Diary: No-Han Edition

Dear Diary,

By now I imagine you've heard that our ace Johan Santana (I just call him "Johan" - we're just that close) pitched a No Hit game for us Metsies last Friday night.  It was the first time that a Mets pitcher ever did that.  They tell me that Tom Seaver came awfully close a few times a couple of generations ago but no one's done it in modern times until now with Johan.

Lil' Murph and the Mets celebrate the franchises 1st no-hitter
I thought I would give you some inside baseball insight as to how that game went with us other players not named Johan or Mike Baxter.

Since I mentioned Bax, let's talk about him first.  He made one helluva catch in leftfield crashing head and shoulder first into the wall.  Catching the ball was something else and then to be able to hold onto it.  Amazin'.

That reminds me to make a mental note to continue to not play the outfield.  Secondbase is no picnic in the park but I like it that there are no walls to crash into.

And there's some controversy about a shot that our old pal Beltran hit down the leftfield line.  The ump called it foul but video replays show it probably was fair.  My attitude is that the umps are always right except when they call it against the Mets.  Tee-hee.   So foul ball it is.

As we got deeper into the game all us guys were getting tense on the field and even in the dugout.

While I was on the bench as we batted in the home half of the 7th I went over to Skipper Collins and said to him, "I'm not coming out of this game no matter what...."

And I'll never forget his reply:  "Shut up and sit down."

Anyway in those last two innings on the field I had real mixed feelings about whether I wanted the ball hit in my direction.  I analyzed the situation and realized I had to make any play that came my way OR botch it clearly enough so they'd call it an error.  Thinking all the time, right?

So Johan finishes the game and gets the no-hitter.  I think he threw like a billion pitches and I'm not sure who was more exhausted at the end Johan or the skipper.

I'll bet I'm the only one that noticed that I, yours truly Daniel Murphy, had a triple in the game.  That's the first time all season I got more than a double.  One of these days (God willing) I may actually hit me a homerun.  They'll probably make as big a to-do over me then as they did over Johan on Friday.

So now you know about the "No-No".  It's good to get that monkey off the team's back.
Pretty soon we'll be getting Ruben (Tejada) and Baysie (Jason Bay) back.  I wonder if we'll get better then.



All articles featured on The Apple are fictitious. No Mets were harmed in the writing of this story. Story by Larry Smith.  You can follow Larry Smith on twitter @dr4sight

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular