Thursday, April 28, 2011

Introducing: Lil' Murph's Diary by Larry Smith


Dear Diary,

I know I only write in you once or twice each week but I just can't get to sleep after tonite's game. I have to tell someone what happened and you're my bestest friend I have in the WHOLE world.


Anyway, it started this afternoon when Skip told me that he was going to play Justin (Turner) at second since their starter was a lefty. I can hit lefties but I guess Skip wants to keep us all fresh. And he is the boss. So I figured it would be a quiet night - maybe I'd get one pinch-hit at bat late if we were losing and they brought in a righty.

We get to the 8th inning and we're down a run when Jose slams this shot to the gap. It looks like he has slid into 3B safely when the umpire - Hudson I think his name is - calls him out. What a horse-bleep call. We all could see that Josie had his hand on the base even while their guy was making a to-do over his foot not being on the base. The whole club felt cheated and deflated but I couldn't think about that because they sent me up to hit for Justin.

After this long turn at bat their pitcher Clippard grooved one and I hit it about as good as I can. Must have gone 370 or 380 feet. Did you know Diary that in some parks you can hit a ball that far and they give you a homerun? Well here in Washington that's how it works. So now we've tied it up and I'm like this great hero. Everyone's pounding my back in the dugout.

So we go to the bottom of the 8th and their first guy pops one down the LF line. Baysie almost caught it but didn't and then he threw to 2B to get him there but I wasn't at the bag (where I was supposed to be as I've now been told by Chip Hale, Skip, and two dozen NY reporters). Who knew?

So this screwup led to a run for them so we go to the 9th and we're down a run again. I'm kicking myself in the rear for my dummy play and before you know it I'm up, we've got two guys on, and I'm facing their tough LH closer Burnett.

I got me a pitch to hit and slammed it down the RF line for a double that scored a couple of guys. Then they put Hu in at 2B for me (probably so I wouldn't screw up anything more in the field) and K-Rod closed 'em out. We've won 6 in a row Diary and I think I'm in for a whole lot more PT. I'll write more soon. My little eyes are closing.

-Murph 


Follow Larry Smith on twitter @dr4sight

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular