Monday, September 30, 2013

Captain Shorts Wears The Apple's "Captain Shorts" T-Shirt On Mets Broadcast

I swear this is not Photoshopped
I was lucky enough to spend Sunday afternoon celebrating Mike Piazza at Citi Field with 800 or so friends known as The 7 Line Army. I was on my way out of Citi Field after the game when I got this tweet:

I almost fell down the steps from laughing. There was Captain Shorts doing his thing on SNY wearing one of The Apple's Captain Shorts T-Shirts on the broadcast. He even turned it backwards so that it would show on camera. I had absolutely no idea that this was happening.

For those of you who don't know, the nickname "Captain Shorts" came from a comment I made to my fiancee one day after a particularly exciting Mets game I had been watching on SNY. The Mets had won a come from behind game in their last at bat and when the familiar shot of the team high fiving one of their coaches came on my TV I blurted out, "Yeah, everybody high five Captain Shorts!". I tweeted the comment and the name instantly stuck. Mets fans had all been seeing this man but didn't have a name to go with the high five. Just like that "Captain Shorts" was born and he has had many adventures since.

I got to meet him last season and he seemed to get a kick out of his new alter-ego so this year I sent him a
t-shirt.  I had no idea he was going to wear it on the broadcast. This must be what Darren Meenan feels like every day.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank Jay Horwitz, Shannon Forde, Danielle Parillo, Mike V., Darren, Brian Klejsmyt and everyone who contributed on Kickstarter for making this possible. Together we did something really, really silly.

Catch an encore of Captain Shorts performance today on SNY at 2PM. A few shirts are still available here. No Mets were harmed in the writing of this story. Follow me on Twitter @readtheapple.

Buy New York Mets Tickets

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular