Monday, February 11, 2013

Mike Piazza: Master Of Karate

"You break my bat. Now I break you like I break Fisk's record."

Remember that time Mike Piazza squared off against Roger Clemens in a Bloodsport style Kumite deathmatch? Me neither, but according to excerpts from Piazza's new book it almost happened. In his book, Piazza not only admits to taking karate lessons in anticipation of a brawl with the Yankees pitcher, but even takes a moment to discuss fight strategy.

"I would approach with my fist pulled back. I figured he’d throw his glove out for protection. I’d parry the glove and then get after it..." 
Unfortunately, Piazza and Clemens never did get to go toe to toe which is too bad because I would have loved to see him make the Rocket say "Matte!" while Forest Whitaker gives a look of approval.


No Mets were harmed in the writing of this story. Follow me on Twitter @readtheapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular