Friday, June 18, 2010

Wilpon Petitions Selig For Re-Alignment Following Mets First Successful Road Trip

The Apple has eyes and ears everywhere.  Today, reader Larry Smith did a little snooping and uncovered this letter from Jeff Wilpon to Bud Selig.  Apparently, Larry spent all of last night in a dumpster hoping to stumble on some juicy gossip and this morning his persistence was rewarded.

 
June 18, 2010
 

Dear Bud,
 

You and I have known each other for many years and we've had some interesting conversations about the future of this game we both love. One thing we've talked about is reallignment, something I have consistently resisted. But recent developments have forced me to reconsider my position.
 

My team has just concluded an excellent swing through Baltimore and Cleveland, great American cities. It's a shame that the Orioles are going through such hard times and that they have to face juggernauts like the Yankees, Rays, Red Sox, and even the Blue Jays so many times a year. I really feel for them and their plight.
 

And things are not going that much better for the Indians in the AL Central.
Meanwhile this "traditional rivalry" stuff has really not been all that it was cracked up to be. Really, are the Yankees truly our traditional rivals? As some would put it, our rivalry is more like the rivalry that exists between a hammer and a nail. Those six games we have to play against the Bombers, even though they do pack the ballparks, are really match-ups we could live without.
 

Now here's a rivalry for you. Mets and Kansas City Royals. Yes Bud, that would really excite the fan bases of both teams. Think about that one.
Now while I haven't mapped out the entire reallignment I do envision a division that includes these teams:
 

NY Mets
Baltimore Orioles
Cleveland Indians
Pittsburgh Pirates
Arizona Diamondbacks

 

You and I both know how important it is to have the New York NL team be relevant. With these division opponents I believe that our team, even with Omar and Jerry at the helm, can be playing meaningful games late into every September.
 

So let's continue to discuss this. Keep in mind that I am entirely flexible. If you'd prefer it be the Astros rather than the Pirates then I could live with that. You know I just want what's fair and best for the game.
 

Your friend,
Jeff Wilpon



Today's post contributed by Larry Smith. All articles featured on The Apple are fictitious. No Mets were harmed in the writing of this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular