Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lil' Murph's Diary: Little Murph Is Ready For Spring Training

Dear Diary,

It's been a while since I've written so I thought I'd catch you up on what's happening.  Soon we'll be heading down to Florida to start to get ready for the 2012 Major League season.  This is about the first time I'm going down there with a position, sort of.


I kind of thought they might trade my butt this off-season but they didn't and now it looks like they want me to be the second baseman for the Mets this year  (I don't think Justin is too thrilled with that but it's their call and not his).

I stopped by Citi Field a few days ago to pick some stuff up and happened to bump into Mr. Alderson.  He pulled me aside and told me to also bring my third baseman's glove and my first baseman's mitt to Port St. Lucie.  Then he winked which I take to mean that Davey might not be a Met for the whole season.  What intrigue.

I asked Mr. A if I should also bring my outfielder's glove and he smacked his forehead and mumbled something like "God help us all if you end up needing that." I'm not sure what he meant by that.

Anyway, the plan is for Mr. Teufel to be my main tutor for second base.  The two problems as we see it are:

#1 Playing the position acceptably 
&
#2 Avoiding injury

For that #2 problem they have designed for me some protective equipment that might just work.  To describe what it looks like picture Henrik Lundqvist.  I insisted though that I would not wear that stupid helmet they wanted me to.

When I suggested that wearing all that paraphenalia might cut down on my range Mr Teufel just shrugged and said, "what range?".  I guess they really want my bat in the lineup but with Ike at one corner and Davey - at least temporarily - at the other, I suppose second is the only place to "stash" me.

I’m an optimistic little guy but it seems things will have to break exceedingly well for us this year as the other teams in our division seem to be a lot more improved than we are.  We’re sure going to miss Josie and it’ll be weird seeing him with his hair cut short and wearing a Florida – no scratch that – Miami Marlin uni.  I wish him well but if his hamstring is gonna act up, I hope it’s when he’s playing against us Mets.

See you in Florida,



All articles featured on The Apple are fictitious. No Mets were harmed in the writing of this story. Story by Larry Smith.  You can follow Larry Smith on twitter @dr4sight

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular