Monday, October 3, 2011

Lil' Murph's Diary: Little Murph's Last Diary Entry Of The Season

Dear Diary:

Well the 2011 baseball season is over for the Mets (it was over for me a long time ago but you already knew that).  We didn't make the playoffs, we didn't finish over .500, and for sure we didn't stay healthy.  I guess it was another "didn't" season.

But the news isn't 1000% bad.  Our boy Jose (Reyes of course) won the National League batting championship.  Good for him. Someone told me that no Met has ever done that before.  Betcha that if I'd stayed healthy I coulda given Josie and Braun a run for their money but, well, you know....
The thing is about Jose that maybe he'll sign elsewhere as a free agent in the offseason.  I'd hate if that happens partially on account of how good he is and partially because I finally just mastered that complicated handshake he wanted me to do with him when one of us did something good at bat.

Also I see that they're bringing Skipper Terry back.  I'm mostly happy about that.  He's an intense guy (they tell me I'm one too) but knows his stuff.  The only time I'm not crazy about Terry is when he says stuff to me like:
"Murphy, you idiot, you can't be getting thrown out at third base in that situation."
or
"Murphy, you numbskull, don't hang your leg in front of the oncoming sliding runner.  He'll break your bleepin' leg."
or
"Murphy, you dunce, how many times do I have to tell you that when you get to a base you turn LEFT????"

Anyway that's not even why I'm writing to you today Dear Diary.  I went to the ballpark to pick up some of my things still in my locker and while no one was around I wandered around the place.

I guess it's true that they're gonna move the fences in and even make new ones in some parts of the park.  Well I found a fence out there (don't know if it's going to be in right or left field) and it had writing on it.  The writing said,  "MURPHY - you play here"


So putting 2 and 2 together which is something even I can do, it tells me that Terry, Sandy, and everyone else in charge feel that my position on the team next year will have to be in the outfield.  With Ike returning to 1B and David at 3B the only infield spot for me would be second.  If Jose signs then I think Ruben is at 2B and if Ruben ends up having to be at short then it'll probably be Turner or one of the minor league hotshots at second.

So I've read the writing on the wall and will be trying my darndest to be an OFer next year.

I don't have a good feeling about this, Diary.



All articles featured on The Apple are fictitious. No Mets were harmed in the writing of this story. Story by Larry Smith.  You can follow Larry Smith on twitter @dr4sight

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular