Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Choked Up David Wright To Reporters: I Never Learned How To Run Or Slide

The game was over.  The Mets had just completed a dramatic comeback to defeat the San Diego Padres 9-8 at Citi Field.  While the players celebrated on the field, home plate umpire Marty Foster limped awkwardly back to the clubhouse to get treatment.  Injured Mets first baseman Ike Davis, watching Foster from the dugout, turned to SNY's Kevin Burkhardt and quietly said, "I know what that feels like."  Foster was the latest casualty of Mets third baseman David Wright's inability to control his body on the baseball field.  After the game, fighting back tears, Wright finally opened up about the situation.

"I just feel like I have to come clean.", Wright told a gathering of reporters. "I never learned to run or slide.  When I was younger, coaches were so focused on my hitting and fielding they didn't bother to help me with my running problem."  After being shown the replay of his game winning slide, Wright became choked up. "The guy was no where near the plate and I almost crippled him.  I really have a problem."

According to Wright's younger brother Stephen, David's "problem" has sent every member of his family to the hospital at least once.  "We'd just be running around the backyard and it would only be a matter of time before he slammed into something or someone.", Stephen Wright told The Apple.  "You see he can start running with no problem but stopping or changing directions are a challenge for him.  He basically runs like a Weeble is what I guess I'm trying to get across here."

Mets GM Sandy Alderson says the team is committed to Wright.  According to Alderson the Mets have called in former Met Carlos Baerga to work with Wright and help him cope with an awkward running style. Those familiar with Baerga my have fond memories of the man who looked like he was climbing an invisible ladder as he rounded the bases...slowly.

As for Davis? "I'm just glad he's admitting that he has a problem and is seeking help.", Davis told The Apple. "It's too late for me but if we can save one of these young kids out there then that's good enough for me."

All articles featured on The Apple are fictitious. No Mets were harmed in the writing of this story. Follow me on Twitter @readtheapple

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Month's Most Popular

All Time Most Popular